When it comes to packaging customers demand high performance goods, while needing cost effective and easy to process components. AFFINITY® Polyolefin Plastomers (POP) can help you address this need.
AFFINITY® offers excellent adhesion at high and low temperatures, outstanding processability, and colourless formulations that can be more appealing to customers. These innovative polymers harness the power of INSITE™ Technology to give low crystallinity and low molecular weight to add value.
Key Affinity® performances in cast- and blown film applications are:
- food packaging films that costs less
- low crystallinity and low molecular weight
- excellent adhesion at high or low temperatures for safe packaging
- exceptional seal ability, sealant layers with high hot tack and low heat seal temperature for fast packaging line speed
- unsurpassed processability
- low taste & odour transmission
- excellent optics
- blends that are more flexible and durable
Typical applications for AFFINITY® POP are e.g. food packaging films for meat, cheese, fresh-cut produce, dry foods (e.g., crackers, cookies, cereal, cake mixes) and stand-up pouches needing exceptional seal ability, great optics, excellent organoleptics, high oxygen transmission rates or exceptional toughness.
AFFINITY® GA for Hot Melt Adhesives (HMA)
AFFINITY® GA Polyolefin Plastomers (POPs) are a range of polymers based on metallocene catalysis and process (INSITE™ Technology) that have proven successful due to their performance, processing, and end-user advantages not previously achievable with EVA (Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate) formulation.
These polymers help you reliably stick boxes and other substrates together over a broad range of temperatures, while saying goodbye to odour, gelling, machine wear and tear, and colour disadvantages of EVA-based hot melt formulations.
The low density and viscosity of AFFINITY® GA POPs are the keys to achieve better Hot Melt Adhesive (HMA) properties such as an attractive cosmetic appearance and aggressive bonding across many different substrates. Applications include case and carton sealing, multi-wall structure fabrication, non-woven construction, and food and beverage packaging.
AFFINITY® GA POPs offer good thermal stability, so they have a longer pot life and reduced gel formation translating into less frequent maintenance downtime. The stable viscosity helps to consistently and easily apply hot melts, precisely controlling bead size and placement.
Other advantages are:
- Increased mileage and reduced adhesive usage = lower cost as much as 15% - 40%, depending on application.
- No stringing and spider webbing = enhanced package appearance, reduced labour cost, reduced downtime, reduced scrap.
- Low colour = enhanced package appearance.
- Low gel and char formation = low applicator maintenance due to cleaner filters and nozzles = reduced downtime.
- High green strength (Tack) = high line speed and reduced waste.
- Rapid set during compression cycle = high line speed and reduced waste.
- High bond strength = enhanced package integrity (Fibre Tear Test).
- Stable viscosity = excellent control of viscosity resulting in precise control of bead size and bead placement.
- Good bond strength over a range of temperatures = enhanced package integrity (Fibre Tear Test as a function of temperature, SAFT & PAFT tests).
- Adhesion to a range of substrates = flexibility, reduced waste, reduced cost.
- Reduced odour provides an environmentally friendly workplace, clean running and reduced wear and tear on equipment as well as reduced downtime.
There are currently two grades available: AFFINITY® GA 1950 - designed for all standard application temperatures (175°C) and heat resistant applications, AFFINITY® GA 1900 - designed for low application temperature hot melt adhesives (LATHM 120°C -135°C).
Please also take into account our INFUSE® (OBC) product offer for pressure sensitive adhesives (PSA) formulations.
Loading, please wait